Monday, February 20, 2006

Failed miserably :-(

Despite my real desire to do the Auchentoshan tour, it just didn't happen.

Reason...........

Went out with some folks from work ( people I like & some I tolerate) and guess what, I drank a few, well actually quiet a lot of drams.

My drink of choice was 16 YO Lagavulin, the cheap easy to get one, but a great drinking whisky all the same.

Jim Murray's (Whisky magazine) tasting notes :

Massive peat. Ultra-intense iodine carries a shade more spice than of old. The fruity-sherry notes are clean, vanilla is much deeper. Beautifully layered.
Palate - Peat so thick you could stand a spoon in it. Chewy iodine bolstered by sherry and big oak.
Finish - A little spice lightens the grip of the peat and vanilla. Dries off with malt, dried dates... and iodine.
Comment - A true classic in every sense that offers breathtaking depth.

And frankly who can argue ........ It's a real powerhouse & one of my favourite " drinking" malts. My wife thinks it "tastes of dirt" which means I can have a bottle all to myself at home:-)

Now, and this is another "find" for me, I have a bottle of Lagavulin 1989 distillers edition (Double matured in Pedro Ximenez cask) in front of me. In my opinion this is a fantastic "end of the day" dram.

It gives me loads of burnt wood, peat and toffee, with a hint of raisins soaked in sherry, fiery but smooth finish. Its a real belter. I think it may be an acquired taste and might not suit those who don't like the peatiness of the islay's but worth a shot if you haven't tried it all the same.

Some interesting facts about Lagavulin

Situated in a small bay on the south coast of Islay, Lagavulin is nearby the ruins of Dunyveg Castle.
It was from this bay, it is said, that 1,000 Islaymen set sail to fight alongside The Bruce at Bannockburn in 1314.This same bay was where the Macdonalds maintained their power base as Lords of the Isles until they were finally driven out by the Campbells in the 1600's.
Like many distilleries, Lagavulin claims to be one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland. Distilling on the site is thought to date from the early 1700's, which if true, would make it a legitimate claim to make.

That's me for this evening.

Gëzuar

1 Comments:

Blogger doctor T said...

Where are you?? Need updates.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home